VERANDA-CURLEE HOUSE 705 JACKSON ST
known as the Veranda House, the home was built in 1857 by surveyor
Hamilton Mask. Mr. Mask, along with his brother in-law, Houston
Mitchell, founded the town of Corinth in 1855. During the Civil
War, the home was a headquarters for Confederate Generals Braxton
Bragg and Earl Van Dorn and Union General Henry Halleck. The home
is Greek Revival with Italianate influences. The structure has
handsome slender columns which support a well-detailed full entablature.
The entrance possesses beautiful sidelights and transom with full-length
windows that still have the original louvered blinds. The interior
features 16-foot ceilings with elaborate plaster molding and other
significant architectural features. The Veranda house was purchased
in 1875 by Mrs. Mary E. Curlee, mother of Shelby H. Curlee, founder
of nationally famous Curlee Clothing Company. The Curlee family
of St. Louis, Missouri, gave the home to the City of Corinth in
1960 in memory of Shelby Curlee. The home is a designated National
Historic Landmark. Open for Tour. The house has serious structural
problems, particularly with the roof and foundation. The Friends
of the Siege and Battle of Corinth, a local, non-profit, battlefield
preservation group, is seeking public and private funding for
the projected $2 million renovation. Donations may be made to
the Friends of the Siege and Battle of Corinth, Post Office Box
245, Corinth, MS. 38835. The Verandah/Curlee House Preservation
Commission holds the annual Corinth Home & Garden Tour. All
proceeds from the tour are donated to the preservation of the
SEKELES-BERRY HOME 714 JACKSON ST
This home was constructed between 1866 and 1870 for Leopold Sekeles
who came to Corinth to partner in a dry goods business with Emanuel
Rubel. Sekeles moved in 1888 to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and
sold the home to his partners nephew, Abe Rubel, in 1899.
The residence originally had a veranda and is believed to contain
brick from historic Corona Female College, set ablaze by Union
soldiers in 1864. The home is of the Italianate design with a
pediment entrance, a hip roof, corner brick design, and brick
dentil motif under the eaves.
FILLMORE STREET CHURCH 711 FILLMORE ST.
Founded in 1857, the Presbyterian Church was constructed in 1872
when Rev. T. H. Padget was pastor. The building is of Gothic Revival
architecture incorporating lancet windows which frame beautiful
stained glass. In 1898 the vestibule with the two-tower effect,
topped with high-pitched gabled dormers on the steeples, was added
to the sanctuary along with stained glass windows. Twelve Sunday
school rooms were added to the rear of the building in 1923. The
First Methodist Church of Corinth owns this building today.
JOHNSTON HEADQUARTERS 714 FILLMORE ST.
The former home of Dr. & Mrs. Stanley Hill occupies the site
of a pre-war home named Rose Cottage. It had been
the Civil War headquarters of Confederate General Albert Sidney
Johnston prior to the Battle of Shiloh. The name Rose Cottage
is derived from the rose color the residence was painted by the
original owners, Confederate Col. William M. Inge and his noteworthy
wife, Augusta Inge. The house burned on December 25, 1920. In
1925, Mr. James F. Gish built this adaptation of a home he had
admired in Memphis. The structure is typical of a fine home of
OAK HOME 808 FILLMORE ST.
This antebellum one-story home was built in 1856 for Judge William
H. Kilpatrick, an attorney and Confederate Colonel. Tom Chesney,
a builder living in Corinth, constructed the house. During the
Civil War, Confederate General Leonidas Polk used the home as
his headquarters. Following the siege of Corinth, Union General
Pleasanton occupied the home. Mrs. Thomas Quincy Martin purchased
the dwelling in 1866. The residence has since been occupied by
her descendants. The well designed home features simple, proportionate
columns supporting a full entablature. This nice three-part transom
is interrupted by well-designed pilasters. The additional wings
of the home and garden house were constructed in the 1930s.
GENERALS QUARTERS 924 FILLMORE ST.
Originally a Queen Anne Victorian residence with extensive exterior
porches, the home was built circa 1880. From 1937-1958, it served
as the First Baptist Church parsonage. The home now serves as
a Bed and Breakfast.
ROWSEY-BOATMAN HOME 1222 JACKSON ST.
William H. Rowsey, a Civil War photographer, constructed this
cottage in 1870. The Rowseys, a talented family of cabinetmakers,
seamstresses and photographers, occupied the home until there
was no surviving member. Mr. & Mrs. Robert Brunet purchased
the property in 1950 and were responsible for major remodeling
and additions to the home. Ironwork on the front added by the
Brunets is reminiscent of New Orleans cottages. The attractive
front door is handsomely fitted with brass hardware. The attached
guest cottage was the former smokehouse. This home has been described
as being a smaller version of the Veranda-Curlee House, as many
of the lines are the same.
DUNCAN HOUSE 810 POLK ST.
Built in 1860 for William L. Duncan (1801-1876), this five-room
frame house originally stood on Jackson Street. It is a one-story
post and timber frame cottage with transitional Greek Revival
and Italianate influences. Confederate General P. G. T. Beauregard
headquartered here in 1862 until he moved to the Fish Pond House
on Kilpatrick Street after the Battle of Shiloh (April 6-7, 1862).
Union General William Rosecrans is thought to have occupied the
dwelling for a time before taking command of the Army of the Cumberland.
ROGERS-SMITH HOME 1103 POLK ST.
This brick cottage was started in 1856 but remained unfinished
until after the Civil War. During the Civil War, the structure
was used to store hay for the soldiers horses. It was also
used at one time as a private school for boys. The first record
of ownership occurs in 1871 with Mrs. Olivia C. Rogers, wife of
C. J. Rogers, owner of the Corinth Marble Works.
PHILLIPS-WILLIAMS HOME 1302 TAYLOR ST.
In 1885 Mr. Isom Phillips designed the original floor plan, a
four to five room home. The home was purchased in 1887 by Samuel
L. Nelson, who made the additions resulting in the structure we
see today. The front and side porches are supported by eight graceful
Doric columns. The home is located at the site of Battery Powell,
scene of fierce fighting during the Battle of Corinth in October
KIMMONWYCH 304 MADISON ST. AT CRUISE ST.
veteran William G. Kimmons (1845-1933), an ice and coal merchant
and furniture dealer, purchased two-thirds of this block in January
1880. Here Kimmons and his family resided in an antebellum structure
until 1888 when they contracted with James T. Callender, a local
architect and contractor, to build their house. Completed in the
fall of 1890, the residence is a fine example of Eastlake architecture.
The wood siding on the home is unusual due to its bevel-edged
formation. Below the eaves of the west porch is a wood-carved
representation of a Rising Sun. Above the north porch is a similar
carving of a Setting Sun. Pierced brackets and other wood decorations
along the eaves complete a charming picture.
12 FISH POND HOUSE 708 KILPATRICK ST.
Isaiah Paschal Young built this house for his daughter, Mrs. Mattie
V. Neeley, in 1857. The name Fish Pond comes from
a non-extant architectural feature on the roof, which collected
rainwater in a tin container similar to a cistern. An ornate wooden
railing surrounded it. At a later date, this element was removed
from the top of the house. General P. G. T. Beauregard and General
Breckenridge used the home as a headquarters at different times
in 1862, before Confederate forces withdrew from Corinth. Beauregard
occupied the home prior to the Battle of Shiloh. He took command
of the Confederate troops after the first day of the Battle of
Shiloh when General Albert Sidney Johnston was mortally wounded.
Notable architectural features include the dentil work and cornices
above the windows. The entry also presents the same features and
is framed by the transom and sidelights.